Here are some natural home remedies for dandruff you may not have known:
1. Do not oil hair and keep it on for long
An overly greasy scalp can lead to uncomfortable itching and seborrheic dermatitis. It can even provide a feast for the fungus that causes dandruff. That said, you don’t want to strip off all your oil. Your natural oils protect hair and are vital for a healthy scalp and lustrous hair.
Apple cider vinegar has been associated with a variety of health benefits and is often used as a natural remedy for dandruff. That’s because the vinegar’s acidity is believed to help stimulate the shedding of dead skin cells on your scalp.
- Combine 1/2 cup ACV with 1 1/2 cups of cool water.
- Shampoo and rinse your hair as normal.
- Pour the water and ACV mix through your hair.
- Don’t rinse your hair again.
- Use conditioner if necessary.
Neem hair mask: A homemade neem pack is the easiest remedy for dandruff. All you have to do is take some neem leaves, grind them in the mixer and add a tablespoon of honey to it. Once it becomes a thick paste, put it all over the scalp like a hair mask and allow it to stay for 20 minutes.
Garlic’s anti-fungal properties are perfect for eliminating dandruff-causing bacteria. Massage your scalp with crushed garlic and honey before washing.
Take a couple of garlic cloves (more if you have thick and long hair), peel and crush them. Mix with some honey and massage your scalp with it. The honey combats the garlic smell and you can replace it with water if honey feels too sticky. Leave it on for a few minutes before you shampoo
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is abundant in vitamins, minerals and other ingredients which are essential for healthy hair.
Aloe vera can be directly used on the scalp to attain relief from the symptoms of dandruff. This is because aloe vera gel has a moisturizing effect on dry skin and help reduce irritation of skin.
You can apply aloe vera gel before or after shampooing by following these steps:
- Gently apply the gel to your head, underneath your hair.
- Let the gel sit for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Use a mild shampoo to rinse the gel off your scalp.
- Repeat this process 2 to 3 times a week, or as recommended by your healthcare provider.